Lamictal (lamotrigine) is an anti-epileptic or anticonvulsant medication from the chemical class of phenyltriazines.
Lamotrigine is available under the following brand names:
• Lamictal CD
• Lamictal XR
Lamictal is produced in the dosage forms of tablets, immediate release tablets, extended release tablets, chewable tablets.
Lamictal is used as a single treatment for epileptic seizures in adult and pediatric patients. The medicine can also be used in a complex therapy in combination with other meds.
The other medical purpose of the drug – is treatment of bipolar disorder in adult patients.
The immediate-release tablets can be used in patients from 2 years of age.
The extended-release tablets are used in adults and children older than 13 years of age.
Lamictal also called an anticonvulsant and it is an anti-epileptic medication.
This drug is used in combination with other medications or either aloneto treat epileptic seizures in children and adults. It is also used to delay mood episodes in atients with manic depression (bipolar disorder).
Lamictal should not be used as a single drug in a teenager or child who is younger than sixteen years old. The doctor can recommend this drug for children as young as two years old when Lamictal is given as part of a combination of seizure drugs.
Lamictal XR (he extended-release form of lamotrigine) is for use only in patients who are at least thirty years old.
In people who take too high of a dose Lamictal and children, this drug may cause r life-threatening or severe oskin rash.
Also the patient may have a serious skin rash if you are taking Lamictal together with divalproex (Depakote) or valproic acid (Depakene).
If you want to take Lamictal, consult with doctor, especially if you have allergic reaction to other seizure drugs, if you have a history of suicidal thoughts or depression, if you have liver or kidney disease.
The patient may hasve thoughts about suicide while taking Lamictal. When you visit your doctor tell him about worsening or new symptoms, such as: depression, behavior or mood changes.
Tell your pharmacist about all other drugs you use, especially:
• hormonal forms of birth control injections(pills, skin patches or implants);
• Tegretol, Equetro, Carbatrol (carbamazepine);
• Depakote (divalproex);
• Trileptal (oxcarbazepine);
• Solfoton (phenobarbital);
• Mysoline (primidone );
• Dilantin (phenytoin);
• Rimactane,Rifadin, Rifamate, Rifater (rifampin); or
• Stavzor, Depakene (valproic acid).
Less serious side effects :
• back pain;
• dry mouth,mild nausea, stomach pain, upset stomach;
• dizziness,tremors, tired feeling;
• loss of coordination;
• double vision, blurred vision;
• changes in your menstrual periods.
Call your health care or provider at once if you have the next serious side effects:
• skin rash;
• swollen glands, fever flu symptoms, neck stiffness, body aches,headache, increased sensitivity to light;
• easy bleeding or bruising , muscle weakness numbness, severe tingling,pain ;
• loss of appetite,dark urine, upper stomach pain, jaundice ;
• feeling short of breath, irregular heart rhythm,chest pain ;
• nausea, swelling, vomiting,confusion, urinating less than usual or not at all, rapid weight gain;
• feeling light-headed or short of breath, pale skin, trouble concentrating, rapid heart rate ; or
• worsening of your bipolar disorder or increased seizures .
Don’t use Lamictal if you has allergia to lamotrigine. If you want to take Lamictal, consult your doctor or provider if you have any of the next conditions:
• liver or kidney disease;
• suicidal actions or thoughts, a history of depression; or
• a history to allergia to other seizure drugs.
Report your doctor if you have worsening or new suicidal thoughts or depression whenever your dose is changed or during the 1st several months of treatment. You may have thoughts aboutsuicidal actions while taking Lamictal.